"Without advance directives or planning, the court may appoint a guardian to make important decisions for you."

What happens if your loved one suddenly gets sick, can no longer sign documents, or take care of his or her finances? What if there is no Durable Powers of Attorney or Health Care Proxy form already signed? What if your loved one must be placed in a nursing home? You may have to seek Guardianship in court in order to gain access to bank accounts, make decisions and plan for payment of a nursing home.

If you do not have Advance Directives and are unable to manage your assets or make your own personal decisions, a guardian (a family member, close friend, stranger or organization) may be appointed by the Court to make these decisions for you.

My firm helps clients petition for Guardianship in courts throughout New York City and Westchester County.

<< back


© 2011 Robin P. Freimann, Elder Law & Trusts